Thursday, February 19, 2009

A doctor disaster

Canyon had a physical today for the waiver program which lets him go with a worker a few days a week for a few hours. Gives him time and experience with someone else and keeps him from being bored all the time at home. Anyway, the doc saw him and except for Canyon refusing to let him look in his ears, all went well. Then the doc asked when was the last time his thyroid was tested? I honestly couldn't remember and think he was just a toddler when it last was. In fact, I think he was little enough that he could still have blood drawn from the bottem of his foot. Because of Down syndrome,, it needs to be tested every few years. So, off to the lab we went. He sat in the chair, got the big rubber band on his arm, saw the needle coming at him and as the nurse held his arm, he panicked. So, she called for back up. I told her it has taken as many as 6 nurses, a dr and myself to hold him down at the ear dr. She came back with 3 other nurses. I sat and had him on my lap with my legs around his waist. A nurse had his legs. One had his other arm. One had the arm to draw the blood. And I used my arms to hold around his chest. They were able to extract about 1/2 and inch of blood in the little tube and he was squeezing so hard he popped the needle out of his arm. Then he melted to the floor and refused to get up crying and crying. I got him to get up after much pleading and promises. They said they hoped they can make do with what they got. I over heard them talking about having hard to deal with kids before, but never had one soooo strong before.
He finally got over the ordeal after an hour.

OH and he is 52 1/2 inches tall and 71 pounds now. Gettin toooo big!

No comments:

Follow Me on Pinterest

Contributors