Friday, July 12, 2019

Little Landscaping

It's so hot and waaaaay too humid, but I decided I needed to tackle some landscaping.

FRONT YARD


First, I have these hedges along the front porch.  I hate them actually.  I want to rip them out and might do it eventually but not this year.  Too me, it makes the house look old. Anyway, we cut them way back and at first I thought I killed them, but they are doing well and look a lot better shorter.  We took about a foot off the top. They have space though in front so I added to them.


I had no idea what this was but it grew in pretty clumps at the edge of the border in the backyard. I used 2 plant ID apps and joined a group of plant enthusiasts to help me figure it out.  After a lot of back and forth and disagreement, we decided it is Liriope, NOT Monkey Grass.  Which is good because Monkey Grass spreads on runners.  Liriope aka Lilyturf multiplies but it just makes the mound larger.   


So I thinned out some and transplanted them up front.  If they all take, I will have 22 new mounds.



Then I added 3 bags of new mulch and the front is done for now.



BACK YARD

Found out my 2 tall tree like things are Crape Myrtles.
1 pink


and 1 white.


Then I found out that I had 2 Japanese Barberry bushes.


Which have thorns and are tick havens.  Out they came.



I replaced them with Magic Carpet Spirea which I also had at the other house.  I lucked out and got 4 for less than the price of 1!


Next, 12 more bags of mulch was added.
(please dogs, let it be)




Look how big that Lilyturf mound is next to the deck.
They are supposed to bloom purple flowers in the Fall.  I don't know if my front ones will this year but all the ones in the back should.



I am supposed to wait until early spring to cut back these Myrtles but they have doubled since I moved in and one is laying on the house heavy with flowers.  The bees are happy, but I couldn't wait so I thinned them out some.



I took at least 30 branches off and I could lose some more but this is better for now.









No comments:

Follow Me on Pinterest

Contributors