Monday, April 16, 2018

Area 17 Games

We made it to the 2018 Area Games.  Wasn't sure we would because I hadn't had any word about Special Olympics this year.  Even though it had been discussed many times throughout the year that S.O. was something I definitely wanted him to be included in.


And when we get there and found his group, his badge says he's in the 100 meter walk.  WHAT!?!?
So basically they just put him the easiest thing for them to get a score or time for and not even in 2 events like he (and everyone) should be in.


Since it was only he and I this time, I decided to let him walk out himself.  YIKES!


Luckily I was able to find him when the games got started and we had a looooooong wait until his event (which was dead last!)  So we sat in the freezing bleachers for over 5 hours waiting.


Finally, the sun came out and his event was on.


And just as I assumed, he did not walk, but jogged the whole way.  I figured this would disqualify him but they gave him 1st place anyway.  He was not the only jogger.




Even though I know he was bummed about not getting to do the events he thought he was going there to do, he was proud of his medal.  Does this mean State?  Do not know.  I did talk with someone from his baseball who has put together a team that he can be included with next year instead of the day center that doesn't seem to care.  So he will probably be with that group next year.


All that waiting was exhausting!


No comments:

Follow Me on Pinterest

Contributors