Saturday, January 7, 2012

A little family outing turns almost tragic

It was one of those days where it's overcast, not too cold, but cool. Not raining or too windy. A winter beach day. So we headed out with the dogs to go to the park.
The real whole purpose was that Sahara wanted to go jogging. So, they're off on the dyke.
Jogging got old so we walked to the fishing docks and then headed to the playground.

Everyone played :)

The family that was here left as soon as we showed up so the place was ours.
After this we went walking to the marina and that's where it happened. The area to swim where dogs are allowed had a lot of branches and leaves and other 'nature' things washed up on beach. We were walking through it all. I had Malaki this time and he stopped in his tracks. I gave him a tug and looked and said, 'oh, your stuck.' He somehow got a branch between his collar, his harness, his sweater, and himself. He wasn't crying, just stuck. The more we tried to get him unstuck, the more he started to panic. Screaming and twisting his body. I really couldn't tell if he was injured or just scared. But was thinking he might be impaled. The branch was about the size of a mans thumb but connected to stuff under the ground that we were standing on. Jared said, let me break the limb, but I was still trying to untangle him because he was screaming. Jared said it again and SNAP!. As soon as Malaki heard the snap, he went limp. I thought he was dead. That he was impaled and it just snapped and hit his artery or something. Jared scooped him up and he was completely limp. Eyes open. tongue hanging out and all. Still, 6 hands are trying to untangle the 6 inch long stick from him now. I slip my hands under his jacket and Jared grabs his nose and gives him CPR!! I say for him to wait, I felt his heart beating and didn't know if he wasn't breathing yet (and was worried Jared might blow out his teeny lungs). After that one breath, he picked his head back up but looked completely out of it. I think he passed out. Can a dog pass out from fear?? He didn't move, or blink, or make a noise for the next few minutes. We searched him for puncture wounds but didn't find any. He was wound really tight in that mess, but I don't think tight enough to choke him to death. I mean, I've seen the animal abuse shows on TV where the collar that has gotten too small didn't kill the dog even though it has to be surgically removed....but that's a slow process, maybe he did have a lack of air and pass out. Or from fright. Jared can't believe he actually gave a dog CPR and asked us not to tell anyone. Well, I don't think his friends read this blog, so....
Malaki is fine now. Came home and chased the cat around the house as usual :)
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Follow Me on Pinterest

Contributors