Saturday, October 3, 2009

Water Heater Woes

Well, woke up this morning to running water. Thought that Canyon was up, outside and had the hose on. I got up and when I passed the bathroom found that it was Sahara trying to get the shower to work. 'There's no hot water mom.' I try and sure enough there isn't. I told her no shower today, we will see what is going on when I am more awake. After a cup of coffee, I went to the water heater and cut off the wrap so that whoever might need to fix the problem can get to the panels better. Then I decided to wipe off the top of the water heater because after 10 years, it was quite dusty. I got buzzed touching the side of the tank. Not much, but enough to make me wonder what was going on. I checked the breaker box and all was ok there. I continued to wash off the top and got ZAPPED when I touched the copper line from the wall to the tank. I called a plumber but was told he was on a job and would have to call back. Joe (the neighbor) came over and checked it out with a friend of his. We came to several possibilities, but not wanting to buy unnecessary parts or parts at all if the whole thing was shot, we decided to get better help. He wont be available to come see until tomorrow. The plumber called back but I didn't answer the call. From what I hear just to come to the house is around $80 and that's on a week day. Double time on the weekend. I'll do without hot water for 2 days and go to Mila's for a shower or boil water if I have too. A new tank the same size as the one I have will be $400. Hopefully Jerry (the guy coming tomorrow) can rescue this one. Part for it are between $15 and 25. That is more like it. The heater is about 10-11 years old. I assume they are supposed to last longer than that. I might be wrong.

No comments:

Follow Me on Pinterest

Contributors